“The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” Pablo Picasso
Virgo's have an innate desire to utilize their talents, and skills, in a way that is in service to others. It could be to their family, their chosen career, a cause, or whatever they are committed to. The desire to be of service does not have to be in only one area.
The Virgo who has evolved along a spiritual path (this is a lifelong process for everyone who is spiritually inclined) realizes that they must also be of service to themselves in respect to furthering their soul's growth. They understand that the purpose of their incarnation is to embody and bring to life their authentic self in its totality. By doing so, they bring the gifts they possess to the world. Virgo's on a spiritual path realize that this process is part of divine order, and they have (or develop) a sacred reverence for this calling.
In this blog, I will talk more about Virgo qualities, gemstones that resonate with them, and the jewelry I have created for them. I have created two pieces in my zodiac collection for Virgo that feature the Virgo symbol and gemstones that resonate strongly with this sign.
Embody the Divine Feminine
Virgo is associated with the maiden/virgin which symbolizes purity. There is another interpretation of the meaning of the Virgo zodiac sign. It symbolizes embodying divine feminine energy.
I recently read a book about "sacred dance" which was written from the perspective of a Virgo woman who had been a dancer and teacher for most of her life. It was very timely for me to read this book just before I wrote this blog. It was later in her life that she was called to write the book to share the wisdom that she had accumulated and integrated into her dance practice over the years. As she had evolved in her dance journey, dance became a sacred practice that she had a deep reverence for. For her, it was a way to connect in a primal way to earth energy and divine inspiration.
The author said that Virgo is related to the Goddess Isis which represents the divine feminine. Her view of "sacred dance" is that it is an instinctual dance of the Goddess that reconnects women to the sexual/spiritual aspects within themselves. For many women, these energies have long been submerged, or denied expression as a result of external factors in their environment. The movement of the body in response to the rhythms of music and earth energy reawakens women to the divine feminine energy which is a part of them.
"Sacred dance" involves the dancer becoming one with the moment and expressing their essence as an intuitive response to what they feel course through their body. The goal is not perfect technique as a dancer but rather intuitive connection to the dance. I know that witnessing another person dance from the perspective of their soul is a beautiful and inspiring experience to observe.
Whether you are a dancer or not, I highly recommend moving your body to music as a method to get your energy circulating and flowing. At the very least, it will begin to shake loose any cobwebs in your body and soul, and help to re-energize your being.
Here are some common Virgoan tendencies that may (or may not) be expressed to varying degrees.
- Element: Earth
- Symbol: The Maiden – It is represented by an “M” shape that is curled inwards. It symbolizes a maiden carrying a shaft of wheat which represents virginity, purity, fertility etc. It is also linked to Goddess energy that I explained above.
- Planet: Governed by the planet Mercury.
- Modality: Mutable
- Thrive when they are sharing their knowledge, skills, and empathy with the world.
- An analytical mind.
- Prefers an organized environment.
- Tends to be more of a minimalist (less clutter).
- Perfectionist – Their high expectations of themselves often leads to self criticism. Critical thinking may spill over towards others.
- Respect and empathy towards the young and old in society and their families.
- Prone to generalized anxiety at times, analysis paralysis, or obsessing over details.
- They can be frugal and conscious of saving for “a rainy day”.
- Interested in health, nutrition, and open to holistic and alternative medicine.
- Appreciates recycling, upcycling, and environmental sustainability measures for products and services.
- A love of nature and being outdoors.
- Approaches learning with enthusiasm.
- A penchant for being “crafty”. (i.e. knitting, DIY stuff, etc.)
- Virgos may be oriented towards practical OR artistic professions. There are quite a lot of Virgo actors, musicians, etc. (Keanu Reeves, Shania Twain, Michael Bublé, Amanda Marshall to name a few well known Canadian ones.)
- They are not attention seekers by nature but they can be phenomenal performers when they are sharing their gifts with others. (i.e. Freddie Mercury, Michael Jackson etc.)
- A love of animals . A soft spot for the small ones.
Gemstones for Virgo
Some gemstones that have a strong resonance with Virgo are peridot, carnelian, moss agate, amber, citrine, chrysocolla, amazonite, red garnet, jasper, rainbow moonstone, sodalite, howlite etc.
I chose to create my pieces with moss agate. It is strongly connected to the earth element and is excellent for grounding your energy. Its green colour is associated with the healing of the heart chakra.
It is considered a stone of new beginnings. It is said to attract prosperity and improve self-esteem. It is believed to help inspire creativity and help to relieve stress.
Mother Teresa – “Do small things with great love.”
The first Virgo person that came to my mind when I began thinking about this blog was Mother Teresa. She exemplifies the quality of selfless service to others. The following quote by her is an example of what was her faith-full way of life.
"Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love."
This is an especially important point to take in. Showing love to another human being is free to give. Anyone can give it. No financial means are required. Just the willingness to give love from your heart. It is not about how many people you impress with grand gestures of giving but how you have helped another person(s) by your actions. The smallest, focused, gestures can have the greatest impact. It can be life changing for the receiver of your gift of love and kindness.
I am not suggesting that ALL Virgos are as selfless, humble, and compassionate as Mother Teresa. She was a genuinely extraordinary human being. Some people may be born with her inclination, others will become more compassionate as they mature and evolve with life experiences, and some people will never develop this side of themselves. I believe there is inherent potential for Virgos to be leaders in showing how to give and be of service to others.
The beauty of giving (and being of service) to others is that in the end the giver also receives. As per the words of Maya Angelou, "I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver." If the world was comprised of more liberated souls, who lived their life by the practice of giving, there would be a great deal more harmony within the human race. Never underestimate the power of one compassionate gesture. It is a vibration of energy in the collective cosmos that has the potential to create a ripple effect.
What Virgo quality do you admire the most in someone you know? I'd love to hear about it in the comments below.
With love and soul,
PIN FOR LATER